Comment, news and opinion from SceneThat's Editor
SETE confirms Eiffel Tower photography copyright policy
Mon, 20 Sep 2010 23:46:49
[Message to SETE (Société d'Exploitation de la Tour Eiffel) from SceneThat]
Recently, in a discussion about copyright, we found conflicting comments about people taking photographs of the Eiffel Tower. Please can you confirm the current position, particularly in connection with your requirements for:
a) Amateur photographers, who take pictures for their own enjoyment – and not for sale or public exhibition
b) Amateur and semi-professional photographers who wish to publicly exhibit their photographs
c) Semi-professional and professional photographers who offer copies of their photographs for sale
In reply to your request, we are pleased to send to you a piece of information about the copyrights registered by our society :
- The lighted image of the Eiffel Tower is registered in France at the “INPI” under the number 1379547 from March 26th 1996,
- the Eiffel Tower twinkling, No. 03/3229520, renewed on 6 June 2003
- The name “La Tour Eiffel” is registered in France at the “INPI” under the number 1310358 from February 14th 1995,
- The "Tour Eiffel phare" vignette, No. 99803691, since 20 July 1999
- The lighted image of the Eiffel Tower in red has been registered at the “INPI” under the number 3269666 from January 2004.
So, they cannot be reproduced without our authorization.
There are fees to pay only for the photographs who sell their photos with the enlighted picture of the Eiffel tower.
There are fees for b) and c).
Service Valorisation du Fonds Patrimonial/ Droits à l'image
SETE - Société d'Exploitation de la Tour Eiffel
1 Quai de Grenelle - 75015 Paris